Tuesday, September 22, 2015

A student, no more.

So, I don't think I'm the only one who's had this baffling experience: For ages before handing in my dissertation, and especially between the time I did hand it in and the time I presented it in front of an intimidating audience (a grand total of two people) I felt like once that was over, my life would be great. I would go out and drink, and party, and then sleep like a baby and then drink and party some more. Instead, the minute I walked out of the room, once I'd messaged everyone who needed to know that my time as a masters student was over, I had this sinking feeling in my stomach; this emptiness took over, even before the actual thought struck me: "What now?". The deadlines I'd been dreading all these years, the pressure to write essays that would actually be worth reading; they had, all of a sudden, vanished. And my life suddenly had no purpose. I felt lost, and in no mood to celebrate. The epic night that I thought would follow my last day as a student was now far less desirable than a day of wallowing and just trying to figure out what I was going to do next.
And all this happened despite what turned out to be my mom's best idea ever. Sometime during the week between my dissertation being handed in and my presenting it to my vast audience, she IM's me, asking what my plans for the near future were. I tell her I'm not really sure if I should go visit my dad (it's been at least two years), or if I should start looking for jobs immediately. She says "I'm sorry, but I have other plans for you."
And that's how it all started.

To be continued.

No comments: